Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Étienne is a postdoctoral research fellow in the Golby Lab. His work focuses on building low-cost neuronavigation tools for deployment in limited resources contexts. He is interested in new hardware integration in surgical workflows to both improve intuitiveness of the displayed guidance information, as well as lowering cost.Previously, he completed a PhD on in situ augmented reality for neurosurgery in the Applied Perception lab under the supervision of Marta Kersten. He worked on building new augmented reality visualization techniques to facilitate surgical interventions. He built a tablet application communicating through OpenIGTLink to the IbisNeuronav system to generate an overlay of pre-segmented structures with the real-time camera view. His prior experience is in computational geometry, specifically automatic detection of intersection on parametric surfaces.
- Léger, É., Gueziri, H. E., Collins, D. L., Popa, T., & Kersten-Oertel, M. (2021). Evaluation of Low-Cost Hardware Alternatives for 3D Freehand Ultrasound Reconstruction in Image-Guided Neurosurgery. In International Workshop on Advances in Simplifying Medical Ultrasound 2021; 106-15. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-87583-1_11
- Léger, É., Reyes, J., Drouin, S., Popa, T., Hall, J. A., Collins, D. L., Kersten-Oertel, M. MARIN: an Open Source Mobile Augmented Reality Interactive Neuronavigation System. Int J Comput Assist Radiol Surg. 2020 Jun;(6), 1013-21.
- Léger É., Vassallo, R. Popa, T., Peters T., Xiao, Y., Kersten-Oertel, M. A prototype for hemodynamic analysis in neurosurgery implemented on a mobile augmented reality system. CARS 2020 — Computer Assisted Radiology and Surgery Proceedings of the 34th International Congress and Exhibition, Munich, Germany, June 23–27, (2020): 15(1) Supplement, S91-S92. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11548-020-02171-6
- Léger, É., Reyes, J., Drouin, S., Collins, D. L., Popa, T., & Kersten-Oertel, M. Gesture-based registration correction using a mobile augmented reality image-guided neurosurgery system. Healthcare Technology Lett. 2018 Sep 27; 5(5), 137-42.
- Pokhvisneva, I., Léger, É., Meaney, M. J., & Silveira, P. P. Systematic Overestimation of reflection impulsivity in the Information Sampling Task: age dependency in children. Biol Psychiatry. 2018 Jan 15;83(2):e33-e34.
- Léger, É., Drouin, S., Collins, D. L., Popa, T., & Kersten-Oertel, M. Quantifying attention shifts in augmented reality image-guided neurosurgery. Healthcare Technology Lett. 2017 Sep 18; 4(5), 188-92.
- Bischoff, A. R., Pokhvisneva, I., Léger, É., Gaudreau, H., Steiner, M., Kennedy, J. L., O’Donnell, K. J., Diorio, J., Meaney, M. J., Silveira, P. P. Dynamic interaction between fetal adversity and a genetic score reflecting dopamine function on developmental outcomes at 36 months. PLoS One. 2017 May 15;12(5):e0177344.